On 4th December 2017, over 100 girls reported at CIFORD KENYA-Centre, Lailuba for one-week seminar for girls alternative rites of passage. The girls were not allowed to either to go outside or to receive any visitor which is symbolic of being in seclusion when they are circumcised. The girls were trained on several topics such as;
- Reproductive health.
- Early/teenage pregnancy.
- STIs/HIV and AIDs.
- Life skills and self-realization.
- Female circumcision rites
- Meru culture
- Alternatives rites of passage.
- Drugs and substance abuse.
GRADUATIONThe girl's graduation on Friday in attendance were the parents, friends, and sponsors (women who are identified by parents to coach and advice the girls) of the girls. There were dances, songs, and dramas as girls created and promoted awareness on FGM, there were speeches from the girls.
ROAD PROCESSIONOn Friday 8th parents (community members, staffs, and girls) conducted a roadshow along the Muriri-Isiolo road showing confidence and rebuking FGM practice through songs and dances.
on the event
- The leaders and parents are supporting the programmes
- Girls and parents requested for more seminars of this kind.
- Girls who attended the earlier seminar organized by CIFORD attended the graduation ceremony which is clear indication that they appreciate the work.
- Girls turnout more than 100 indicates that the community value the workshop.
- During the seminar, there was much outcry to save the boy child from alcohol and drug abuse.
on the event
The mental health needs of children and adolescents in low and middle-income countries (LMICs) have been neglected, leading to a serious mental health gap. The mental health care needs of young people are not acknowledged, and when they are, there are insufficient...
DEVELOPING SELF-RELIANCE AMONG WOMEN THROUGH KITCHEN GARDENING. Children will always ask for food from their mothers and not fathers. So any time there is no food at home, the woman feels the pain of her kids. CIFORD has involved women in food production to ensure...
Eva Kamathi Is one of the first group of young mothers who attended the training on the Hair dressing and beauty. Eva is a mother of a girl and she dropped out of school in form two. When Eva joined the group she was so stressed and withdrawn. She was not...